Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bibliophiles Unite!, or I Love LibraryThing

Wow, I had to pull myself away from LibraryThing. This is the site I never knew I was looking for! A social network for book lovers? Seriously, what could be better?

I was pleasantly overwhelmed by all the things you can do! I've already added twenty-six books to my list, and will definitely be adding more. I'm also interested in reading others' reviews, and perusing some groups. I am following the Harry Potter group (HP geek that I am) and the Floridians group (sad to say there is no USF group).

There is such potential for using this site in libraries. Reading clubs that meet at a library can list their books on their own profile. Libraries can create a profile, using it to recommend books that their patrons may enjoy. LibraryThing is also a good place to find out what's going on locally; bookstores, bookfairs, and libraries in one's local area are listed. If I were a YA librarian, I would encourage teens to join the site as a way to make friends with other people with similar book interests. That way, it can encourage literacy, which is ultimately one of the greatest goals of the public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment